Friday, April 17, 2009

Reunion & Hallway Couloir

I love rock climbing and I first started really climbing alot with Tyler, my friend from high school. With college, the move to Cali, then school again, we've lost touch. I knew he was a great skier, so I tried to track him down to go on a tour and today we finally were able to make schedules work.

My hippie friend. Notice the frost. It was cold!


7 of 13 ski resorts are closed for the season even though several Utah resorts received 3+ feet of snow in the past 5 days. I don't get it. Tyler and his friend Ed were going to do the Hallway Couloir in Cardiff Fork, and I was happy to tag along. Just as an aside, I have caught two different colds in the past 3 weeks (Hooray for me) so I was armed with both a barking cough and lots of Ricola cough drops. As we were hiking up Flagstaff mountain across from Alta, there was this light red dust-dirt covering all of the snow. I guess they had a good dust storm up there recently. Snirt (snow + dirt) looks kinda gross, but the snow was still pretty good.

Cool snag on the skintrack up.


The reason for waking up at 4 something or other.


Dropping in to the Couloir.


It did not disappoint. This morning was very likely my last powder day of the year, and it was a good ending. Really soft good snow up high, and then kind of firmish powder cement down low but super fun. It was a beautiful day to be out and all in all a good day and well worth the calories and sweat.


Splitboards do have a decided disadvantage on the not-flat-enough-to-snowboard exits. Click on this picture-it is much better in large view. :)

No comments: