Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Weekend in Tucson

Thursday it was puking snow on the Wasatch Front. I didn't get out to ski because of our trip the next day to visit my kid brother Jeff and his family in Tucson. The weather (for Tucson standards) was cold with highs only in the low 50s, but felt balmy compared to sub zero temps back home. After a fun but dissapointing  Jackson rando race weekend, it was a nice change of pace.

Boarding our small flight. We had to take the nursing baby with us. Travelling with a baby is toughness training.

This 4-year-old shreds it on his bike.
 Tucson sits at 2,600 feet above sea level and the Santa Catalina mountains at the edge of the city rise 5,000+ feet off of the valley floor--similar vertical relief to my home mountain range. There are TONS of excellent trails there in a unique (for me at least) setting. Some are super technical and not real runnable in sections, but fun nevertheless.
I was so captivated by the Saguaro cactus. Really tall and all over the place down there.

Kid brother and nephew out on a ride to the Circle K.

The Santa Catalinas are a pretty rugged little range. Awesome running there.

My vacation smile.


So much to see it was hard not to be a super tourist taking pictures.


GoPro stick mount. Take that Moellmer!

Up up up.

Yes I took a camera AND a GoPro. I'm a tourist.


One of my favorite sections of trail from the weekend. Buffed single track on the way to Kimball Peak up above the desert.


Cam is from San Diego. He kept saying "I can't believe I'm running on snow!" He lives in a different world.



Tucson, peace out. I'll have to come visit again.



We made a little video memory of the Kimball Peak run. Running with a GoPro is, admittedly, kind of dorky, but now we have a fun memory.

No comments: