Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving 5k (plus a little more)

For turkey day I joined some new friends for a hot lap up to the top of the snowbird tram before breakfast. They were quite a bit faster than me with their stupid light race setups. I need my boots to get here soon! When we started it was 2 degrees Fahrenheit. I was sweating, so by the time I reached the top I had crazy ice chunks stuck in my hair. My bottle was nearly frozen solid as well. At the car, I ate a small pack of shot blocks and a few crackers for breakfast. Water was still frozen.

Then for dessert, we crossed the road and skinned up toledo bowl and along the ridge up to the top of superior. Bart and Andy were skinning comfortably and I was straggling behind always by a few minutes. They were nice to not turn down the screws on me too much. We scored some sweet pow at the top, negotiated a couple of tight chokes, and then wahoo'ed down the apron to the road. I hit a rock and blew 2" of edge right out of my skis. $#*&! Hopefully the shop can work a little magic to get them fixed, because I REALLY cannot afford to buy new skis this winter.

Total vert for the day was probably around 6k. The rest of the day was filled with turkey, mashed potatoes, candied yams and pumpkin pie. Hmm, maybe my penchant for treats is the reason I got smoked up to hidden peak?

No comments: