Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Skin loop modification for Trab skis

There is some stuff out there on the internet about this, but I'll add my 2 cents because there are a few things that I didn't understand from the other posts and this may be valuable for someone who needs a tip or two on the process. After looking at Andy and Jared's mods, I took a stab at doing my own and think they turned out rather nice if I can say so myself.

I ordered some Trab 100% mohair race skins and they came with the Trab tip & tail attachments already on them. Using an exacto knife, I cut off the tip and tail attachments. Then, using the exacto knife again, I trimmed the skins so a 2" thin strip at the tip. I used the logo as a guide for how skinny I wanted my strip.

Rather than explain the blow by blow (boring!) Here's a picture of the finished product.





A couple of notes on the process:
1) I used sports tape to hold the bungee together and put sports tape right above the washer(a 1/4" washer I think) so it won't move when attaching skins and also at the top to have some surface area to grab when ripping the skins.
2) I used my Dad's sewing awl to sew my thin strip back on the skin. It uses a beeswax covered thread and is quite heavy duty. Perfect for this sort of thing. Two small rows tacked on there should be more than enough to hold this thing together.
3) The bungees I used were about $3 from Home Depot. Maybe 10" long. The thinner the better I think.

No comments: