Sunday, March 14, 2010

Adieu Nordic




Nordic Valley (Wolf Mountain) closed for the season tonight. My ski patrolling Dad hooked me up with a bunch of free passes so we had a group go shred the mountain for closing the closing Saturday. Tigger, Pooh, some radical 80's dude, several rednecks in coveralls, and a couple of fancy ladies met us up there to shred. It was a blast! Everyone was close enough to the same skill level that we just kinda moved around the mountain together at the same speed.



Wes hooked me up with some snow fruit boots and I proceeded to rip. This guy has got nothing on me...


I took our grill up and we cooked polish dogs for dinner and we stood around in the freezing cold, eating, laughing, and having a great time. I think that this will have to be an annual event. From here on every year, for closing weekend at Nordic we'll be shredding in dress-ups. Good times!

In other news, I also did the Powderkeg Saturday morning. Since The Incident a few weeks ago I haven't felt good enough to really do much on my leg without it rebruising and making me grit my teeth, so the long-course was not possible for me. The recreation course had 3,500 feet of climbing over 6 or 7 miles of racing. I really like these races but I wish I had the $$ to get some racing skis & boots. My 187cm 105mm waisted skis are great for powder, but make me move like cold molasses on the uptracks.



Overall, I felt okay. I finished 10th in the Rec AT division, 20 minutes adrift of the winners. Samurai flexed his muscles and beat me by 5 minutes and had 2 more transitions and 1,500 more of climbing and skiing that I did while winning the race division. Impressive! Skimo racing isn't for wimps, that much is for sure. Very cool race, well attended, and great energy.

No comments: