Saturday, February 23, 2013

2013 CROWBAR Race

Tim White at the finish line.
Today was the Cache Regional Overland Winter Backcountry Race (CROWBAR) on the Utah/Idaho border. It is entirely outside of ski area boundaries which is a rarity for Skimo races around here. The course was around 5,000 vert over 7 or so miles. The course was fantastic! All the ups were basically a single skintrack with kickturns every so often as we climbed up. The downs were okay too- 6-8 inches of light density pow over a breakable crust (yuck!) but it skied pretty well for the most part. 

I always seem to make goals to ski top to bottom without stopping, but my legs start to cramp and hurt from lactic acid  so bad that I wimp out and end up taking a couple little breathers on the descents. (I know, I know) Because of this, along with my mediocre descending skills, I always give up a lot of time to good skiers on the descents. Like Matt H. We climb about the same pace, but he totally outskis me. For me the perfect race would be feeling good on the ups, solid transitions, and skiing fast and well. I felt good on the ascents, transitions were pretty good, but man, I have some room for improvement on the descents!

This race course may have been my favorite skimo course yet--mellow start on a nordic trail, ascents around 15-20 degrees inclination, powder descents through mature pines and open glades with some refrozen tracks to keep you on your toes, nice weather and good friends to race with. Skimo racing is a blast.

1st - Jared 
2nd - Chad B.
3rd - Mark Hammond
I think I finished 9th? No results yet.

Finish line sandwiches, chili, and hot chocolate.

Gemma's golden crowbar.

"Yes, Jared, you have to carry this on the race course next year."

When I got home Jami went for a run in the snowstorm. She was wearing a snow hat when she came home.

2 comments:

Erik Syrstad said...

Hi Layne - I'm really stoked you enjoyed the course so much - and we appreciate the great feedback! We had you officially at 8th. Full results are posted here: http://www.nordicunited.org/crowbar.htm

Nice work, and thanks so much for making the drive to Logan. Hope to see you next year!

-Erik
CROWBAR co-organizer

David said...

Hi Layne,

It looks like your 2013-2014 ski season is starting off well! In case you haven't heard yet, the CROWBAR will be happening again this year on February 15, 2014. Registration is now open at http://CrowbarSkiRace.org. We hope to see you again this year.

-David
CROWBAR co-organizer