Friday, February 3, 2012

Wasatch Citizen Race Series (#6)

Race #6 was a relay race at Brighton consisting of 4 laps (2 per person) of a short effort maybe 6-10 minutes each lap. Teams were comprised on a person on race gear and a person on heavy gear. Courtney and I were joking about yelling “GO!” before everyone was ready to try and get in front of Drs. Dorais and others. It caught them off guard but didn’t take long for them to get in front of us anyway. Well played Courtney! My smile disappeared quickly as the pace was fast from the get go and the heavy breathing and suffering started. The course had maybe 200 meters of cat track, then some kick turns up to the first downhill transition. I made it to the first transition before Andy, Jason and Tom left (20 seconds?), so good for me! That hasn’t happened yet this year—those guys are usually well ahead of me. A quick ski down led to a short booter and skin track up to the same downhill transition area. Without the warm up I think I went a little too deep on the first lap and felt a little dizzy for a few minutes after finishing my first lap. Dizzy enough to have to sit down. Weird. My teammate Trent Duncan killed it on the heavy metal gear and kept us in a good position. I backed it off the gas a little bit for the second lap, got passed by Tom towards the top of the second lap and was glad to be done when it was over. Our team finished third. 

Everyone convened at Molly’s afterwards for nachos, beverages, and pie awards by our troop leader Andy.



I was hurting on the booter!  (picture from slcsherpa.blogspot.com)   


No comments: