Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Top 5 of 2011


As I was getting in a ski session/workout before work this morning I was thinking about the last year and some of the things I’ve been able to do. I'm a lucky person. 2011 was a good year. I have an amazing wife, great kids, and a great job. I hope that 2012 will be as good. There were several things that didn't make it in my list, but here’s my top 5:

#5 Wild Iris. Camping/Climbing with the family and friends was super fun. I’m mostly a sport climber, and Wild Iris has to be one of my favorite all-time places to visit. We were only there for a few days, but the kids always ask to go there now, so I’ve got the kids hooked too! An annual tradition from now on.

Abe on the Zorro Wall. (Jami Caldwell collection)
 #4 Skyline Mountain Marathon. My first Marathon. Beautiful course, tiny race field (we all fit on one yellow school bus on the shuttle to the start), great views, singletrack, etc. It hurt so good. The 2012 iteration should be even better with friends running the race and trying to best my 2011 time. The race really does start at mile 20. The last 10k was a beatdown! 

(Photos from Skyline Mountain Marathon Facebook page)

(Photos from Skyline Mountain Marathon Facebook page)
#3 Lisa Falls/Too many powder days to count. Alta recorded over 750” of snow in the 2010/2011 year with skiing from early October to June. It was incredible. I skied lots of pow, and saw a few new areas which always makes it fun. Lisa Falls probably sticks out as the most memorable skiing day of the year with over 5,000 feet in descent/ascent, an improbable looking line and good friends. Haven’t skied it? You need to—It’s amazing.

(Greg Moellmer collection)

(Jon Middlemiss collection)

#2 Wyoming Skimo Weekend 2011. Jackson/Targhee races were brutally hard physically and mentally. While I’m not real speedy, this is still a great time and a fun weekend with friends. I won’t mention the results. But hey, at least I was out there right? Right?


#1 Uintas loop. This was a beautiful sunshine-filled day with LOTS of singletrack, and lots of notrack through bogs & rockgardens. Red Castle is beautiful. Awesome day—the furthest I’ve ever ran. 35 miles. Just as an aside, I tried to get out of this run, but Greg was having none of it. Thanks for not letting me wimp out Greg! I need good friends like Greg in my life to help me have fun... We had to drink water from a stream w/o purification aids and neither of us got giardia. Bonus!

Greg made a great video of the day.
Kings Peak Ultramarathon, 3 Sep 2011 from Greg Moellmer on Vimeo.

No comments: