Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Patrolling & Other Stuff

I convinced Wes to do a dawn patrol with me on Tuesday morning. DP's are great in that you get to go skiing on a workday/weekday. The only bummer is the early start.

Waking up is the crux.


The view was worth it though.


It was sort of painful to wake up at 4:40 but well worth it. Quality ski days this time of year are numbered, and I was glad to have the opportunity to get out. Farmington canyon isn’t known for its skiing as it is a sled-neck haven, but they do have some fun terrain without the SLC crowds. And some of it is really close to the parking area. The morning after a storm ours was the only car in the parking lot and we didn’t see another car in the canyon with the exception of one Air Force guy going up to the towers. That is unheard of in LCC or BCC on a new snow day. Wes was on flip-flops, so we skied one of the lower ridges to save time. I forget what the ridge is called. It is a short run to the bottom, but it is super easily accessible from the road, and is a fairly easy skin back up for multiple laps so it made for a good DP choice. I REALLY wish I had ski crampons though, because the new snow was sluffing fairly easy on the older super-firm stuff. It made going up an exercise in patience.

We made a couple quick runs and I was at the office at 9 am. I wish we had time for more, but it was a pretty good morning. No action shots today, but here are a few that I took with my phone.

Looking North towards Ogden Valley.

The first light of the day & a view of our run.

My pirate dude.

No comments: