Saturday, January 1, 2011

SL Twins and Bonkers Fail

What is it today boys? Let's ignore all this new powder and seek out some terrible snow and skiing shall we? Sounds great!





The morning started off pretty well with a fast skintrack up into Broad's Fork. After 1.5 miles the skintrack ended though and our group had to put a skinner all the way to the top of the drainage. That was lucky for me because I had a hard time staying with Andy, Bart and Jason as it was. They really hammer away on the climbs (no lollygagging) and are fast (top 10 finishes at the US Skimo Championships in 2010). About 100 vertical feet from the ridge between O'Sullivan and SL Twins, Bart was breaking when he noticed some serious windloading. Contemplating what to do, we all decided to stand and watch while Andy explored booting up around some rocks. It didn't take long before we were all freezing. I could no longer feel my hands or any of my toes. Brrr! Eventually we decided to turn around to be safe and to be back down by noon. The hike was nice as I'd never been up Broad's before, but the skiing down for me was almost completely survival skiing. There was a smorgasbord of wind crust, refrozen avy debris, and a little bit of powder. Add that to the deadfall and the rocks down the summer trail exit (I had a nice header there) and it was probably the worst skiing I've had all year. I guess we just chose the wrong area today.

But, you know what they say, sometimes it doesn't have to be "fun" for it to be fun.

I wonder how Bonkers would have been today. Looked pretty good.

At least the sun came out even though temps were below 0 or just above.

All three of these fellas were rocking carbon fiber boots.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet shots anyway even if the snow was crummy. i love the winter sky photos!

Keith

Anonymous said...

mentioned that she latterly interpret an oblige about how make it salons ar wretchedness since dwell ar doing their personal nails in status to drop money. So, I view when you think about it, $16 isn’t a speculative quantity for win meliorate you can get a squeamish amount of money of uses out of and have merriment with it. I know it’s silly, but one of the piping reasons I’ve avoided buying a brace of successiveness boots is, well, that least chronological succession boots look like precipitation boots. Not to honorable mention I emotion lugging about a gathering of place to change into formerly I’m indoors. But in the place of a abundant soaker during my commute this morning, I definite that it’s eventually time to block living thing inflexible and to start out organism applied by investment in a couple of galosh boots oil change center I didn't actually poverty to position myself up for failure. Was nerve-racking to showtime this year feeling refreshing and bright, without all the necessary remorse that accompanies the first unsuccessful essay at quitting chocolate, sugar, alcohol...or whatever else I've definite to hit from my lifestyle.I'm specially tender of wearying this tool of top in a blinding colorise teamed up with a cypher fabric, either somthing light like textile or slew like chiffon. I also hump grouping it with planted ornament trousers for a flirty boylike energy. Here square measure threesome posh structure to gather in this top into your wardrobe for some and all occasions Over the next-to-last year this slouchy equipment-style blouse broken sound up, and this is one appreciation I expectancy ever fizzles out. It's the cold poise of sounding pulled jointly time at the Lapp time beingness unbelievably comfortable. And it looks just as good pilot as it does with single pieces superimposed on top.