Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lanterne Rouge

One thing I wish versus would do is give more attention to the Lanterne Rouge--the last placed person in the peleton. Kenny Van Hummel, the now former last placed guy in the peleton(he DNF'd today's stage after a crash)was hanging on for dear life riding hundreds of kilometers solo and taking risks on the descents to make the time cut-off each day in the mountains. He is quite a good sprinter with several top 10 finishes in the tour this year. I've been the red lantern on several group rides in SJ with my superstar friend Chuck, so I was impressed by his drive to keep going.

I don't speak Dutch, but you don't have to to understand that the man had given his all each day. I'm sure I couldn't hang onto his wheel for 1 minute in the Alps.




Anyways, chapeau Kenny. You nearly made it to Paris and the end of the TdF. There's always next year.

No comments: