Monday, February 11, 2013

2013 – Year of the Running PR


I used to dislike running. Maybe hate is too strong of a word to describe my feelings but I was not a fan. It was uncomfortable, slow (compared to cycling) On my importance ladder it was below climbing, mountain biking, and snowboarding and just ahead of video games. Now it probably goes skiing/running in a dead heat, climbing, mountain biking, Ms. Pac-man. I just admitted that I like skiing/running more than climbing. What has happened to me? I ditched one sport for time constraints (climbing) and took up sports (skiing/running) that take a similar amount of time and dedication. Hmmm.

Well, this year I plan to set some PRs. Hopefully. Before you think snarky comments about how my times I’m about too list are cold-molasses slow,  and how much faster you may be, just remember: Everyone is a punter to someone else, so be nice.

Mile – Maybe 5:40? I’ve run a few timed miles on the track for workouts, but never really raced it. I think I should be able to beat that. I would like to run sub-5 in my life, but it’s not going to happen without serious dedication and I’m more interested in longer distances. And I’m not getting younger.

5k – I ran the Dart/Viking challenge (local high school road race) in 2004ish and ran 20:11. This should be fairly easy to beat because I wasn’t much of a runner then. I’ll do the dart challenge this year.

10k – My fastest 10k was at the end of the Spudman triathlon two years ago. I ran a 42:40 for the running leg of the tri. This should be easy to beat with fresh legs and without swimming and cycling right before. There are lots of 10k races around. Any suggestions on a good one?

13.1 – I ran the Ogden half marathon several years ago and ran 1:39:57. I was (per usual) undertrained and died the last 3 or 4 miles. I’m registered for the Ogden Half again and will run with Jami. My list of races that I’ve suffered on grows longer and longer the more I race…

26.2 – My marathon PR was at the end of the Coeur D’Alene Ironman in 2008. I think my split was 4:22ish. This one should be hard to beat because I’m not planning on any road marathons this year. I’m planning on the Skyline Mountain Marathon again so 4:21 is now my race goal. No matter that it is 20min faster than my best run on that course.

50k – I might do one of these this year just to round out the PR list. Thinking of El Vaquero Loco—it looks awesome.

50m – Never run one. Thinking of the Pocatello 50.

100m – Never run one. I got into the Wasatch 100. So, if I finish, it will be a PR.

So that’s it. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Jami said...

Sounds ambitious! Good luck!