Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Families are Forever

Family reunion in Tahoe this week. Good times. I rode the flume trail with the bros yesterday. (Pics coming) Beautiful ride! I was feeling too good about life, so I decided to bonk on the way back. Nothing like a good bonk to make you appreciate chips, cookies, sandwiches, hummus, pita bread, and root beer. Mmmm. In those moments food dominates my thoughts.

Lake Tahoe is amazingly beautiful and weird at the same time. It has a really cool alpine setting with a rich yuppy flavor. I don't think any homes here are less than $1M. Kind of an exclusive place. But a rad exclusive place.

Today Keith & I did The Line, a 5.9 at Lover's Leap. I not much of a trad, and this was my first 5.9 lead on gear in a long while. It felt good to test the comfort zone limits with something well within my range. The route was spectacular and basically goes straight up the wall wandering less than 10 feet side to side during the entire 3 pitches. The leap has crazy horizontal dikes of rock that haven't eroded as fast as the rest of the cliff, so there were plenty of face holds on the route and good foot jugs for placing gear. A good way to spend the morning. Hopefully I'll have another day at the leap before the family reunion is over.

I took the below pics a couple weeks ago. My younger brother Jeff took a break from Med School studies to come climbing on a Saturday. He's a strong bugger for only climbing 2x every 3 years!

The Boog leading Right Pile.


Clipping the chains after an onsight or redpoint. I don't remember which.

1 comment:

Nate Page said...

I decide to bonk on occasion too. And every time it's great fun.